Monday, March 9, 2009

Failure = Success

Today I have some FAILED attempts with my dead lift and my shoulder press.  I was going for a 406 dead lift for my last 1RM, and well as you can tell by the title I failed at that attempt THREE times.  My first was obviously my best attempt at it and lets just say I was 95%-98% there for a complete lift.  Not happy.  My goal was over 400 today and well didn't get there.  I wish I could show you the video of my attempt because you will say like I said, how could you not get that the rest of the way up.   Well my friends I tried and tried and just could not finish it off.  I knew I left it all out there cause I felt like I was going to puke after the attempt.  I tried it a couple more times and could not even come close.  So that was my first failed attempt of the day.  
My second was shoulder press.  My shoulder press has been improving lately so I wanted to see if I could get my old 1RM shoulder press (155) and do it for a 4RM.  Again I got 155 up three times and failed at the forth.  This time I was about 80% there for a complete lift.  So I was not feeling good after those two lifts.
As I left the workout I started to feel good about myself and what I had accomplished that day.  I realized that even though I failed at 406 and only got 95% there, I was successful at getting the bar off the ground and moving more weight than I have ever done.  I got 406 off the ground I am stoked, I couldn't even imagine doing that when I first started.  This also came to me with my shoulder press.  How can I be upset with failing on my 4th rep if I just did my old 1RM 3.8 times.  
I could not be happier with where I have come and where I am now.  My strength with dead lift has dramatically improved and my shoulder press is going up as well.  I feel my failed attempts have shown me just how far I have come.  I want to have more failed attempts, so that it will prove to me that I am putting my max efforts in and not quitting early. 

To Succeed you must Fail.   

2 comments:

Kelli said...

squeeze the butt jon...sqqqquuueeeezzzzzeeeee :) You'll get that DL in a matter of time, especially if you were 95% there!

John W said...

Thanks, I do have a roll-a-dex, a mind roll-a-dex. Haha. But seriously, my family comes up with crazy sayings and stuff like that quite often so I guess I was just raised to think like that. Honestly, I stole that most recent one, I opened the window..., from my great grandmother, if you can believe that.

As for the furry friend, I suppose I do have a reputation to uphold.